Organic Alsace wine: everything you need to know
In Alsace , more than 14% of the vineyard focuses on organic farming . The grapes come from organic farming and the wines are said to be “organic”. The organic Alsace winegrower works in compliance with the "organic Alsace wine" charter. This recommends limiting the use of polluting practices such as the use of pesticides . The winegrower is committed to a voluntary approach both in the context of planting the vines and during bottling. When it comes to organic and biodynamic wines , we respect the soil, the micro-organisms and the ecosystem . We tell you everything about organic Alsace wine .
Why does the Alsace winegrower choose organic production?
The organic winegrower from Alsace chooses organic production with the aim of promoting environmental and human health. As part of the production of organic Alsace wine, it bans the use of chemical inputs . He only uses natural products such as herbal teas.
The goal of the organic winegrower is to produce a wine whose flavor reflects the terroir. In the cellar, he works for the same cause. For this, he uses sulphites in small quantities. The doses are smaller than those offered by conventional winemakers . The use of low quantities of sulfur in wine aims to produce a wine suitable for those intolerant to sulphites . Organic and biodynamic winegrowers therefore opt for a quantity of sulphites 4 to 5 times lower than the legal standard.
Alsatian soils, the best ally for growing organic wine
The Alsatian terroir has a very diversified geological diversity. It is a real mosaic where we find clay-limestone soils , granites , alluvium , marl , to name a few. If Alsace is known for the diversity of its grape varieties, the region is also sought after in the context of wine production for its geology.
Oé therefore takes advantage of the naturalness of the terroir in order to produce organic wines , adapted to the needs of the greatest number.
Types of organic wine from Alsace
In Alsace, the organic winegrower produces 3 main types of wine, in particular whites, reds, grands crus and Crémant d'Alsace. In addition, there are 51 grands crus and therefore 51 terroirs delimited according to geographical and climatic criteria. Their appellation benefits from a common denominator, namely: Alsace grand cru.
Organic white wines from Alsace and their grape varieties
There are 6 major grape varieties in Alsace intended for the production of white wines. These are rosé and give only white wines.
- Sylvaner : white wine with a fruity and light taste. Endowed with a beautiful vivacity, it goes very well with charcuterie, seafood and fish.
- White Gewurztraminer : this is the most famous of all Alsace wines. It offers a powerful mouth reflecting the full-bodied, structured and sustained aromas. A fan of Chinese and Japanese cuisine, have a gewürztraminer with you to bring out the flavor of your dishes.
- White Riesling : it is the stimulator of gastronomic wines. It is used to produce dry white wines with floral and mineral flavors. It goes perfectly with seafood, white meats and sauerkraut.
- Pinot Blanc : it gives dark green leaves. It gives its best in stony and very hot soils. It reveals aromas of peach, pear and apple. It is the best ally of fish, poultry, white meats...
Pinot gris : it is a full-bodied and round white wine resulting in an undeniable aromatic complexity. It comes in aromas of undergrowth with a smoky or floral tone. It goes very well with poultry, game and terrines.
- White Muscat produces the grand crus of controlled designation of origin. These represent the best exposures of the vineyard. Some of them evolve in soils rich in limestone, granite, marl, clay, shale, etc. Among these grands crus, we can cite: Alsace grand cru Brand, Alsace grand cru Altenberg de Bergbieten, Alsace grand cru Hengst, Alsace grand cru Goldert, Alsace grand cru Froehn, Alsace grand cru Altenberg de Bergeheim, etc.
Organic red wine from Alsace and its grape variety
In Alsace, only pinot noir produces red wines . Originally from Burgundy, it is the only red grape variety authorized in Alsace, a region known for the production of white wines. It is intended for the production of fruity and light wines. It is important to specify that the wines made from this grape variety are tannic and should be drunk chilled. It develops aromas of raspberry, melted tannins, cherry and blackberries. Charcuterie, red meats or game will welcome it warmly.
Pinot Blanc, Pinot Gris, Riesling, Chardonnay and Pinot Noir are the characteristic grape varieties of Crémant d'Alsace. Most often, it comes from a blend of several grape varieties. It can also be produced from a single grape variety. In this case, all the details will be mentioned on the label. Crémant d'Alsace reveals fruity and floral aromas.