To accompany your aperitifs on sunny days, we offer you an easy and healthy recipe for hummus to accompany your raw vegetables which go wonderfully well with sesame. The blend of flavors is to die for. Hummus, a Middle Eastern specialty, is simply mashed chickpeas with sesame seeds . Besides, it's not for nothing that "hummus" means "chickpeas" in Arabic!
Here are the ingredients to make your homemade hummus:
- 300 g cooked chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon of tahini (sesame puree) and sesame seeds
- olive oil
- 1 lemon juice
- 1 clove of garlic
- Fleur de sel and pepper
- In a blender, mix the chickpeas with the tahini, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the lemon juice and the garlic until you obtain a very smooth and thick paste.
- Add 3 to 5 tablespoons of cold water until you reach the desired consistency, salt, pepper, add the cumin and mix again. The batter should be smooth and creamy.
- Hummus will keep for up to 5 days in the fridge. And for the more creative, try different versions of hummus: with beets, olives, carrots, basil, roasted zucchini... Your table will be even more colorful!
Hummus is an easy-to-make preparation that always has its little success. To taste it, offer sesame breadsticks, grilled toast or even vegetable sticks for a lighter version. Its unctuous and creamy texture must be “stretched” by a fresh wine, endowed with a beautiful liveliness like the Mediterranean rosé or the white Languedoc .
Discover the organic wines of the Oé range
The history of hummus
Hummus is a spread called "dip" in English made from creamy chickpeas that comes from the Middle East. It quickly became popular in Europe and the United States from the 1980s, and in England, no less than 12,000 tons of hummus were consumed each year. A figure that would almost make us lose our heads. Hummus is made from chickpeas, sesame paste more commonly known as Tahini, lemon juice, garlic and olive oil. In Lebanese cuisine, it is eaten a lot as an accompaniment to other dishes such as falafel, tabbouleh and baba ganoush .
The health benefits of hummus
Chickpeas are high in protein and fiber. They provide those who eat them with good nutrients such as iron, vitamin B9, phosphorus. It is excellent for vegetarians and vegans who are replacing the consumption of animal protein with vegetable protein.
For those curious about culinary discoveries, we suggest you prepare your flatbreads to taste with your homemade hummus
- 300g flour
- -25 cl of lukewarm water
- -1 C. salt
Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Add the water little by little while mixing the preparation. After obtaining a ball of dough, separate it into 6 small balls. Cover with a towel and let rest for 30 minutes. Before baking your first ball of flatbread, knead it for 5 minutes then roll it out thinly (about 3mm) on your floured work surface. Heat a non-stick pan and place the dough once it is hot. Let it cook for 30 seconds then flip it quickly. As soon as the bread swells, cook for 2 minutes on each side to brown your bread. That's it !
For gourmets who would like to continue with a good dish or spice up an aperitif, here are our other recipe ideas...
• Dried tomato and mozzarella puff pastries with organic wine The Côtes-du-Rhône red Oé
• The Bruschettas with mozzarella and parma ham and the Corbières or the Mediterranean !
• The Eggplant caviar to marry with The red Côtes-du-Rhône
• The team's Christmas meal with which to marry all Oé organic wines