The Pavlova , this dessert made with meringue and seasonal fruits is the star of your Christmas. It owes its name to a famous prima ballerina...
For 6 to 8 people , preparation 20 min • Cooking 1h20
This dessert is perfect for the end of year celebrations: all its elements can be prepared the day before without any problem, and be assembled at the last moment so as not to spend the evening in the kitchen!
For the meringue:
- 4 egg whites
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla flavor
For the whipped cream:
- 500g liquid full cream
- 1 heaped tbsp icing sugar
For the poached pears:
- 4–6 small firm pears (Conference for example)
- 25g hibiscus flowers
- 1 small handful of dried roses
- 250g of sugar
- 1 liter of water
- 1–2 star anise and 2–3 cardamom seeds
- For the poached pears, boil the water with the sugar, flowers and spices. Poach the previously peeled pears, keeping the tail on for 20 minutes. Turn them regularly and let them cool in their syrup for at least an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 120–130°C.
- Beat the egg whites for the meringue: when they are firm, add the sugar one tablespoon at a time. Then add the cornstarch, white wine vinegar and vanilla flavoring.
- Spread the meringue in a circle on baking paper, slightly hollowing in the middle, and bake for one hour. Turn off the oven and let the meringue cool inside. It should be crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
- Whip a lightly sweetened whipped cream with 500g of liquid cream for a heaped tablespoon of icing sugar.
- Just before serving, place the whipped cream on the meringue, then the pears, and a few hibiscus flowers in syrup. Decorate with roses, candy canes, and accompany with a glass of Côtes de Bergerac !
This dessert will be a sensation for the end of the year celebrations!